Field Education: AmeriCorps Service
This AmeriCorps Program is made possible through a generous grant from ServeWyoming
Position Title: AmeriCorps Field Education Service - Field Education Department
Classification: AmeriCorps Service
Location: Jackson, Wyoming
Dates of Position:
It is expected that all AmeriCorps members are present for a full day on the start and end dates of the service term
Summer Term 2018: May 24-August 15, 2018. This position is a Quarter Term, 450 hour term of service.
Fall Term 2018: September 3-November 22, 2018. This position is a Quarter Term, 450 hour term of service.
Closing Dates for Application:
- We will accept applications for all terms until positions are filled. Please inquire at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Want more details about the AmeriCorps experience? Click here!
Logistics of Position:
Successful applicants will fulfill an AmeriCorps Service Term with Teton Science Schools Field Education Programs
The goal of this program is to empower AmeriCorps members to build capacity of Teton Science Schools and other nonprofits and government agencies in Jackson, Wyoming to increase scientific literacy in the community.
AmeriCorps members will have the following responsibilities:
Build Personal Scientific Literacy & Educational Pedagogy
Learn and apply natural history content of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Learn pedagogy and student management techniques to develop inquiry skills and content knowledge of Teton Science Schools participants
Develop understanding of curriculum design and implementation
Build Organizational Capacity for Scientific Literacy
Assess areas of organizational and community need and identify strategies to respond to that need
Assist in increasing, expanding or enhancing organizational services in order to address the identified need
Serve as a member of Teton Science Schools’ Field Education Team
Co-facilitate field activities, lead evening programs, and lead meal-time curriculum
Share in campus cleaning responsibilities, conference logistics, gear logistics, and administrative duties
Ensure participants’ safety during all programming activities, both in the field and at Teton Science Schools’ facilities
Drive fifteen passenger vans, canoe trailers and mini-buses to transport students, staff and equipment to field sites
Serve as a full member of the AmeriCorps Team
Complete AmeriCorps requirements on a timely basis; including but not limited to reflections, time logs, self-evaluation, service requirements and portfolio
- Room and board on the Jackson Campus of Teton Science Schools
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award:
- Winter Term: $2,200.00
- Summer Term: $1527.78
- Fall Term: $1527.78
- Available 6-8 weeks after completion of paperwork at term’s end
- Valid for 7 years and can be used for university tuition or any federally-backed student loan in your name
- Seminars/Trainings: all AmeriCorps members will attend seminars and trainings provided by Teton Science Schools. The service term will begin with 1-2 weeks of training followed by ongoing trainings and seminars throughout the term
- Work opportunities at Teton Science Schools above and beyond the responsibilities of the service term
- Teton Science Schools is unable to offer any paid work to AmeriCorps members during their service term
- To be considered for a field instructor position at Teton Science Schools upon completion of your service term, you must have a Wilderness First Responder certification
Characteristics essential for an AmeriCorps Member at Teton Science Schools:
- Passion for nature and education
- Ability and willingness to take initiative, solve problems and multi-task effectively and with humor
- Ability to facilitate large/small groups of adults, families, and kids of all ages
- Ability to work both independently and cooperatively
- Willingness to work long hours, split shifts and untraditional work weeks
Qualifications and Regulations of Teton Science Schools:
- Minimum age of 21 for all volunteers and employees
- Maintain current CPR, First Aid, and AED certification throughout the service term dates (re-certification during the term of service is acceptable, but all interns MUST have obtained initial certification prior to their start date)
- Maintain a valid driver’s license with no DUI and no more than 2 moving violations in the last 3 years
- Must be able to manage risk and make leadership decisions at all times
- You may NOT have another job during your service term—work hours and schedules are too diverse to accommodate another job outside of the internship
- Days off will be scheduled into your position. You will need to adjust within these days to plan a vacation or trip.
Qualifications and Regulations of AmeriCorps:
- Must be a United States citizen, a United States national, or a legal permanent resident of the United States
- Must have obtained a high school diploma/equivalency certificate
To apply to be an AmeriCorps Field Instructor at Teton Science School, please fill out an APPLICATION HERE.
Questions? Check our FAQs.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.