Middle School Announcements
Earth Day Service Continues Today!
At the behest of students, we are holding an after school service-learning opportunity today (Friday, May 13) to green up the playfield and hillsides in cooperation with TSS Property Management. No need to RSVP. Please join if you can: 3:30-5PM, Friday, May 13th on the Journeys School playfield.
Middle School Students on the Doug Walker Challenge Course
To celebrate our year’s theme of “Conflict and Cooperation,” middle school students will be participating in the high elements of the Doug Walker Challenge Course the weeks following the spring journeys. All students were given a risk release form that needs to be returned by Friday, May 20th in order to participate. Please contact Sarah Kate if you have any questions (email@example.com).
Capstone Rite of Passage Journey
The Rite of Passage journey in Red Canyon near Lander is rapidly approaching for May 23-27. Like the long-standing tradition of Journeys School capstone students before them, they are busily preparing for this challenging, enjoyable, and remarkable experience. Because this journey demands independence and competency with the primitive skills, students are required to demonstrate their ability and responsibility with risk management during the Friday prep times in order to participate fully in the journey. A letter outlining the details of the journey, including a packing list, itinerary, and requirements for full participation in the journey was emailed last week. Student also brought home risk release forms for Red Canyon Ranch and EXUM Mountain Guides – thank you to those that have already returned them! Please encourage your student to return them to school promptly if you have not done so already. Please contact Sarah Kate if you have any questions (firstname.lastname@example.org).
6th and 7th Grade Journey to Cody, Wyoming
Monday-Thursday, May 23-26
Happy Spring! The end of the school year is rapidly approaching, which brings about many exciting opportunities here at Journeys. The 8th graders have been busily preparing for their Rite of Passage journey, while the 6th and 7th graders have begun to learn about our upcoming spring journey to Cody, WY. The following information is meant to inform you of the details of our upcoming trip. Katelynn is the lead faculty for the journey, so if you have any questions or concerns regarding the schedule or logistics for the journey, please contact her. Her office phone is 307-734-9868, or e-mail email@example.com
• Academic Goals of the Journey: explore the historical and cultural impacts of the Japanese internment camp at Heart Mountain, as well as the history of the American cowboy as it shapes our vies of the American West
• Faculty: Katelynn Clement (lead), Kate Schelbe, Wendy Russell
• Departure: Monday, May 23rd at 9:00 AM. Students should arrive at school at the normal arrival time. Please pack a field lunch. We will meet in the lower parking lot to load the vans.
• Return: Thursday, May 26th at 2:00 PM. Students will be able to ride the bus home on Thursday. Friday, May 27th is a regularly scheduled school day.
• Accommodations: We are being graciously hosted by the Christ Episcopal Church, 825 Simpson Ave., Cody, WY. We will stay at the church Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights.
• Packing List: Students will receive hard-copy packing lists at school to bring home; you can also find a digital copy attached to the e-mail sent on Monday
• Journey Highlights: Academic exploration at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center and Heart Mountain Interpretative Center, service learning at Thomas The Apostle Retreat Center, fun and play at Cody’s Recreation Cente
ERB CTP-4 Testing
Tuesday-Friday, May 31-June 3
Middle school students will take the ERB CTP-4 standardized tests from Tuesday, May 31 to Friday, June 3. If you have any questions regarding these tests and the schedule, please contact Kate Schelbe at firstname.lastname@example.org.