At Teton Science Schools, we require that all participants agree to our student behavior agreement in order to provide a safe, inclusive, and educational experience for all participants. Our instructors set clear expectations and rules as to appropriate conduct at the start of each program.
Our behavior agreement includes:
- show respect to self, others, and the environment
- share equally in group responsibilities
- perform equal to your academic ability
- possess no weapons of any kind
- abstain from using alcohol, illegal drugs, or tobacco in any form
- exhibit no violent or destructive behavior, chronic misbehavior, or actions that result in an unsafe physical or emotional situation for self and others
- abstain from intimate or exclusive relationships
- use digital cameras appropriately and respectfully.
Please communicate with us in advance (through the medical questions on the registration form, by phone prior to your child’s program, or in person upon drop-off) if you have any special instructions for us regarding the social, emotional, or behavioral needs of your child.
Consequences for breaking our student behavior agreement
We reserve the right to determine how to best deal with disruptive behavior. As mentioned above, all students agree to our student behavior standards prior to attending summer programs. Failure to maintain these standards will result in dismissal from Teton Science Schools’ programming and forfeiture of tuition. Actions on our end may involve but are not limited to discussing the disruptive behavior with your child, having your child sit out from a program activity, asking a parent or guardian to come in to discuss the behavior, dismissing your child early for the day, or dismissal from the program. In cases of program dismissal, no refunds shall be given.
Not all children are developmentally ready for the programs that we offer. Please read the program descriptions carefully and reach out to us if you are unsure about what might be best for your specific child. Programs that go off-campus especially require that children can exhibit self-control, listen to instructions, and be trusted to stay with the group for us to safely manage the field experience. With limited time together, we are not able to support the same level of behavioral challenges that we are able to during the school year when we have established relationships and have developed specific strategies to support an individual child. If your child’s behaviors are deemed unmanageable (e.g. aggressive and/or destructive behaviors, running away, tantrums (for extended periods of time), and/or needing constant one on one attention) we will reach out to you to discuss the behavior and explore options for your child’s continued participation in our programs.
We encourage participants to leave electronics at home, including iPads and cell phones.
Did you bring your cell phone to summer programs?
- Do you need it? Leaving it at home is one way to make sure your phone stays dry and unbroken. We do spend a lot of time outside! Plus, it can be empowering to pay attention to the people and landscape around you without a screen.
- If you keep it with you, please use it only for taking pictures or for emergencies.
- Pictures: ask people before you take a picture of them. Respect their “no.”
- Pictures: NO posting people on social media. Only landscapes, or yourself.
- Emergencies: Let your instructors know if you need to get in touch with your family.
- If you keep it with you, please follow the rules above for respectful and responsible use. Instructors can ask you to use your phone differently, take it away for the day, and/or ask you not to bring it again if you do not follow the rules.
For cancellations and switching of programs please contact the Summer Program Office of Teton Science Schools: 307.734.3707. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cancellation Policy: If you would like to cancel a registration for your child, please call 307.734.3707. If your request to cancel is received 30 days or more prior to the start date of the program week, you will receive a 50% refund minus a $25.00 administrative fee. The administrative fee is charged per child, per program. A refund will not be issued if you cancel within 30 days of the start date of the program. Although we make every effort to adhere to our program schedule, extenuating circumstances may cause Teton Science Schools to cancel a program, in which case a full refund will be issued.
Switch Program Policy: The switching of program weeks is allowed until 7 days prior to the start date of the originally registered program. Switches are based on availability. Please call 307.734.3707.
We cannot guarantee a nut-free facility. Any food allergies your child has should be listed on your completed medical form. All allergies are written on instructor’s rosters and accommodated accordingly. During our day programs, instructors carry some snacks with them in the field and will be conscious of any allergies listed for their campers. Lunch and adequate other snacks are the family’s responsibility. If your child has been prescribed an EpiPen (even if it is not a critical concern at present), it must be brought to summer programs.
Teton Science Schools reserves the right to make all final decisions and changes to this policy.