“Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?'” Martin Luther King Jr. once posed this question to an audience in Montgomery, Alabama in 1957. As a minister, activist, and the most visible spokesman and leader in the American civil rights movement, Dr. King dedicated his life in service to others. Dr. King believed in the strength of community and the importance of giving back to one’s community. In honoring his legacy and life’s work, Martin Luther King Jr. Day is considered an opportunity to give back to the community.
The importance of community in place-based education is paramount. To understand place we must explore our community by encouraging individuals to become active citizens by engaging with issues in their communities and beyond. Service to others helps to empower individuals, strengthen communities, bridge barriers, and create solutions to social problems. When community becomes the classroom it emphasizes that meaningful participation in society is not just a concept but a reality. The responsibility to help others moves us closer to Dr. King’s vision of a “Beloved Community”.
The students, teachers, administrators, employees and volunteers at Teton Science Schools are all encouraged to give back to our communities through various service projects. From our youngest students caring for the animals of their community (and school) to our TSS Americorp Members and their immersive and intensive service commitments, and everything in between. We encourage everyone to become involved in their community and have compiled a list of resources.
If you are local here are 3 ways you can give back to honor Dr. King in our Teton County community:
- VOLUNTEER AT TETON LITERACY CENTER!
- Where: TETON LITERACY CENTER
- Opportunity is available until March 26th, 2022 | Ages 15+
- Teton Literacy Center Needs You! TLC is in need of volunteers to serve our students and families in a large array of roles: tap here to learn more
- BUILD WITH HABITAT FOR HUMANITY!
- Where: HABITAT FOR HUMANITY OF THE GREATER TETON AREA
- Opportunity is ongoing | Ages 18+
- Construction site for Habitat for Humanity is back in action! Whether you are experienced or a complete beginner, they have a job for you!* Habitat for Humanity of the Greater Teton Area (HFHGTA) is a non-profit organization that works to strengthen our community by building simple, decent homes in partnership with hardworking community members and people from all walks of life…tap here to learn more
- WRITE “NOTES OF LOVE” FOR PEOPLE SPREAD LOVE
- Opportunity is ongoing | Ages 12+
- People Spread Love is nothing without the people to help spread it! This volunteer opportunity is for ALL AGES. Volunteering with People Spread Love is simple and convenient right from the comfort of your home…tap here to learn more
Looking for more?
If you are looking for more places to sign up to volunteer in the Greater Teton area, check out this list of local organizations accepting volunteers we put together:
- Hole Food Rescue
- Habitat for Humanity Greater Teton Area
- JH Conservation Alliance
- Good Samaritan Mission
- GTNP Foundation
- Senior Center of Jackson Hole
This list is by no means exhaustive and it’s important for us to mention that there are endless ways for us to come together as a community to support one another and volunteer where needed. If you are not in our local area TSS encourages you to explore in your own community and find an organization that inspires you to get out there, get involved and give back in any capacity that you can.