In this virtual workshop, teacher participants will have the opportunity to go deeper into topics of place-based education through a book study. The two book options for the course are:
- Bringing School to Life: Place-based Education Across the Curriculum by Sarah Anderson or
- Project Based Teaching: How to Create Rigorous and Engaging Learning Experiences by Suzie Boss and John Larmer.
Teacher participants will choose one of the two books to focus on for the course. The course flow includes weekly readings, posting reflections, and responding to others’ reflections. Then there will be a virtual group meeting to discuss key elements, learnings, and applications in further detail. Each virtual session will also give participants a chance to explore a key idea from the reading in further detail. The course will conclude with teacher participants planning a place-based project or unit to implement in the coming school year.
Participants can anticipate spending 15-20 hours over the 5 weeks on course activities.
Teacher participants should purchase the book option of their choice in advance. Book options:
Place-based Text: Bringing School to Life: Place-based Education Across the Curriculum by Sarah Anderson
Project-based Text: Project Based Teaching: How to Create Rigorous and Engaging Learning Experiences by Suzie Boss and John Larmer
We encourage teacher participants to purchase the books through a local bookstore. Linked above are the books available through a Jackson, WY-based bookstore (Valley Bookstore) that will ship the books to you.
- Registration closes at 12 p.m. MST on July 2, 2021
- Virtual course sessions from 9:30-11:00 am Mtn on: July 7, July 14, July 21, and July 28. Virtual sessions will be held in Zoom.
- Follow-up assignment due August 4, 2021