Dates: June 28 – August 4, 2023
- Readings and reading responses prior to each session
- Virtual course sessions from 10-11:30 am Mtn on Wednesdays: July 5, July 12, July 19, and July 26. Virtual sessions will be held in Zoom.
- Follow-up assignment due August 2nd, 2023
Instructors: Leslie C. & Kate G.
In this virtual workshop, teacher participants will have the opportunity to go deeper into topics of place-based education through a book study. The two book options for the course are Bringing School to Life: Place-based Education Across the Curriculum by Sarah Anderson or Project-based Teaching: How to Create Rigorous and Engaging Learning Experiences by Susie Boss and John Larmer. Teacher participants will choose one of the two books to focus on for the course. The flow of the course will include weekly readings, reflection posting, and responses to others’ reflections. Then there will be a virtual group meeting to discuss key elements, learnings, and applications in further detail. Each virtual session will also give participants a chance to explore a key idea from the reading in further detail. The course will conclude with teacher participants planning a place-based project or unit to implement in the coming school year.
Participants can anticipate spending 15-20 hours over the 5 weeks on course activities.
Teacher participants should purchase the book option of their choice in advance. Book options:
- Place-Based Education: Bringing School to Life: Place-based Education Across the Curriculum by Sarah Anderson or
- Project-based Learning: Project Based Teaching: How to Create Rigorous and Engaging Learning Experiences by Suzie Boss and John Larmer.
We encourage teacher participants to purchase the books through a local bookstore.
Registration closes on June 27th, 2023 @ 12 pm.
Wyoming and Place Network teachers can register for free. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are a Wyoming or Place Network teacher to get the discount code.