The in-person Friday programming at Colter, Munger Mountain, Jackson and Wilson elementary schools is an example of collective action in service of community goals. The Friday programs provide structured, in-person learning to support public school teachers and administrators, parents, students and the greater community:
- Teachers and administrators get a much needed day to plan and collaborate following four days of intense, COVID-adjusted schedules each week.
- Parents are afforded a safe and enriching in-person alternative to virtual learning on Fridays.
- Participating students receive help with assigned school work and virtual classes and get to spend time outside with guest educators in the fields of ecology, astronomy, zoology, art, music and more. Work and play are blended together to create a safe, cheerful environment in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The community benefits from students learning in consistent pods in their home schools and parents having the ability to work on Fridays.
Are you or your organization interested in supporting Friday programming?
Each week, TSS collaborates with Teton County Parks and Recreation and the Jackson Hole Children’s Museum to organize more than 30 community partners and individuals in providing enrichment programming on Fridays. Partner organizations team up with public school paraprofessionals to support students with their virtual learning and to provide enrichment activities aligned with their missions.
For example, Munger Mountain Elementary students have worked with TSS educators and community partners to examine skulls and pelts, participate in animal Olympics, conduct chemistry and geology experiments, design and execute invertebrate research projects, learn about pollution, catch butterflies, understand healthy friendships, meditate, and, of course, play fun and educational games.
These programs would not be possible without the time, energy, creativity and passion of the following individuals and organizations:
- Teton County Systems of Education
- TCSD’s paraprofessional
- Jackson Hole Children’s Museum
- Teton County Parks and Recreation
- Teton Science Schools
- Wildlife Expeditions
- Art Association
- Community Safety Network
- Coombs Outdoors
- Cougar Fund
- Ecotour Adventures
- Friends of Pathways
- Grand Teton National Park
- JH Historical Museum
- National Museum of Wildlife Art
- Raptor Center
- JH Nannies
- RPark/ Jackson Hole Land Trust
- Slow Food in the Tetons
- Soul Supply
- Teacher Learning Center of Teton Science Schools
- Teton County Library
- Teton County Search and Rescue
- Teton Literacy Center
- Teton Music School
- WY Wilderness Association
- Wyoming Stargazing
- Nick Kionis